Skip to main content

A Blogger's Bookshelf: Divergent

Happy Monday!
Feel free to skip past the next bit of text, it's just me blabbing about my weekend. (Which was pretty crap...)

What a darn weekend it's been! Thursday night my camera decided that it doesn't like the new batteries I put in it- apparently it's a common problem, and I'm still trying out other batteries to fix it, so you're stuck with iPhone images again for a little while...
Then on Friday, we finished school for two weeks for the Easter "holidays" (aka, 2 weeks where we have to do just as much work, but at home and not at school...), so I was in such a good mood that I made a random decision to gallop like Miranda across a road...
For those of you who don't know what that looks like:
Yes, I did this in public...



Anyhow... I was doing this across the road, and then BOOM. My phone flies out of my pocket and now my smashed like crazy...
Woops!
Thankfully the screen actually somehow still works!
And, to top it all off, yesterday when I turned my laptop on, it was making a crazy whirring noise, so I turned it off again... And then it crashed when I turned it back on, and wouldn't "repair the disk" using Mac's amazing Disk Utility, so it told me to reformat the disk, but it wouldn't let me erase anything on it x.x
So, that was fun. I ended up restoring it back to January, so goodbye 2 months worth of pictures and all of the organising of my files that I did the other week. /sigh/ But anyway, at least it's back now, and we can get on with the post. No more weekend. No more technology fails *crosses fingers*

Divergent! (by Veronica Roth)


Time for the actual post then :)
Let me just say, that I read this book, in possibly around 3 or 4 days, and it was so good, I literally could hardly put it down! You know when you're reading before you go to sleep and you have that whole "One more chapter... Oh my god no, just one more... One last one, I swear" thing? Yeah. That happened to me about 3 nights in a row, and darn it, it was so worth it.

So, basically, the background of this book is that sometime in the future, humanity has evolved into 5 factions, known as the Amity, Dauntless, Erudite, Candor and Abnegation. Each faction has a different personality trait that they believe would make the perfect World. Abnegation support selflessness, Erudite support knowledge, Dauntless supports bravery, Amity supports peace and finally, the Condor supports honesty. The way these factions are written about is just absolute genius. Each person is born into a faction and lives with their families until they turn 16. Then they have to take an aptitude test, which is a simulation, and each person is told which trait they are most connected with, and therefore which faction they belong is. That is... Unless they're...
Divergent.
What's that you say? You wanna know more about the Divergent? Tough, go read the book!

As for the characters, our main heroine is Beatrice, or as she is later know, Tris. Well, Tris, you're awesome. Veronica Roth, you're a genius. Tris is the kind of girl that you're afraid of, yet would like to be friends with all at the same time. She's the kind of girl who is fragile and delicate, but can stand up for herself in a fight, and isn't afraid to do so. Tris, is amazing.
Our main hero, and loverboy, is the lovely Four. Everyone gets to pick a nickname when they start their training in their chosen faction, and his? His is Four, but read the book to find out why, because wow, mind=blown. Though, Four... Can I please marry you? Please? I need one, I need a Four. I really love him. *hugs imaginary Four* (I have a thing for falling for fictional characters...) Anyway, enough of my daydreaming, Four is everything you expect a Dauntless to be- he's strong, brave, reckless almost. But as the book develops, so does he, and you see more than the tough side of him.
The other characters are just as great. They're believable and each have little things that you both love and hate about each of them. There's a typical group of bullies, group of good-guys, and group of neutrals. Plus little twists and turns in each of their lives.

I'd talk about the storyline, but I honestly don't want too give much away, so you'll just have to suffer on wards until you read the book. It's sitting there begging to be read and you know it.
(Oh, and the film of the book just came out, but read the book before you see the film! :P)

As a general summary, my final comment is simply going to be "Oh the feels..." Why do you do this to us Veronica, why!?

Though, just wait until the second book. It get's a lot worse. (I've cried already, and I'm only on Chapter 20 out of 47)
So, yes, you can get this book for £3.50 on amazon (paperback), or £2.99 on Kindle- so worth it!

Thanks for reading, and see you soon! Let me know in the comments below if you've read this book or are now going to read it, and what you think about it! Or, especially, if you've read the book AND seen the movie, I want to know what you thought!
~Rachel

Coming Soon:
Wednesday: Wail: OPI Brazil Beach Sandies
Friday: Fridail: Barry M Denim
Monday: A Blogger's Bookshelf: Insurgent (Divergent Book 2)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Random Sunday Post!

Hello everyone! This is a super quick random post just to say I'm back and also what will be coming up this week! So, I'm still due a Blue Nails post for the British Nail Blogger's Colour Me Crazy Challenge- this will be up tomorrow instead of a Book/Lifestyle post! From Wednesday, the normal posts will resume, so you can expect a Pink Mani on this day for this week's challenge nails! Then on Thursday, it's A Level results day, which means a lot of nervous stressy things to sort out, and I may not have time to write up a post in time for Friday- but I will definitely try, and also update you all in my potential University place! If there is a post on Friday, it'll be a typical naily post- probably a swatch of something! And that is all I think you need to know! Good Luck to anyone else getting results on Thursday! ~Rachel

Mail: Messy Mani

Hello! Let it be known that from this day forth, any nail posts posted on Mondays shall be known as "Mail's". Yay! For the first "Mail" post, I'm going to be sharing one of my new purchases with you... Model's Own's "Erase" Corrector Pen! I feel like this could be a major turning point in my blog's image quality, as I no longer have an excuse for messy mani's.  Though I'd first like to point out that I feel like I have come quite far since the beginning of my blog, and no longer post images such as this... I mean, just look at that thumb!? (Polish is Barry M Spring Green) ...Except for today, I'm posting a very (purposefully) messy mani, to show you how the corrector pen can work! Also please keep in mind that I actually did this mani pretty much in the dark, around midnight the other day. :D I quite enjoyed being super careless with my painting, actually. Is that wrong of me? Also, you m

Wail: Birthday Blue!

Hi everyone! So it was my 18th birthday yesterday, hence why this post is a little late! But I have a fun post for you all to enjoy :) Introducing to you- my birthday mani! I love love love these polishes- I think I've only used them once each, but wow, they're just amazing and I definitely need to use them more. Apologies for the little bit of tip-wear, it's been on since Saturday (so, 5 days between application and the picture taking!) so the wear on these polishes is actually very good! The first polish is Rimmel London's Salon Pro by Kate, in the shade "Britpop" which is such a fun name! The colour is also absolutely stunning, it's such a rich blue, but is kinda bright at the same time and a borderline dark teal colour. The brush for application is also pretty wide, which makes coverage super easy in only one to two strokes! There's another bonus too- the polish is very shiny even before a top coat! Totally recommend this polish, a