Skip to main content

A Blogger's Bookshelf: Ink and Bone

Well hey there!

Before I dive write in, I apologise if the format doesn't look too great- I'm restricted to writing this on my iPad, in some rather delightful 30c heat and sunshine (yay!).

Anyway. Earlier today, I finished a book for the first time in a couple of weeks. Not only was it the book to get me out of my reading rut, but it was also pretty darn amazing and had me hooked pretty badly. The book in question is Rachel Caine's new book, Ink and Bone, which is also the first book of a new series for her- Novels of the Great Library. 

As a rating, I give it a definite 9/10 (or 4.5/5 as I marked on Goodreads). It missed out on the full monty simply because I felt like it missed something, though I can't pinpoint what that something may be. The beginning of the book also took a little while to draw me in, though this could be because of my rut, and it wasn't really any longer than any other book would've taken. 

This novel really does have everything though. It's set in a futuristic World, only by 15 years or so, and yet the way you'll look at it will be completely different with how you see the World in front of you. There's a lot more control over the information which is allowed to be (legally) accessed, and in a result there's more of a black market. Who is it controlled by? The Great Library. I won't say much more, I don't want to spoil it to any of you who do go and read it (which you should...)!

All of the characters are realistic, likeable or dislikable depending on their position, and quite simply amazing. They all face challenges, mistakes, wounds- the usual. 

Skipping back to when I said the novel has everything- I wasn't kidding. There's an element of competition. It's not quite a brutal hunger games kind of competition, but it's also not simply a poker match either. You can also find action, and quite a lot of it too, described in great detail but not so much as to bore you with it whilst reading. Just the nail biting kind. Adventure is also there a little, as the characters travel a few times. It may or may not be surprising for me to tell you that there is also an element of romance in the novel- one of the relationships being super shocking due to the way it was announced and how it was so blindingly obvious yet not so at the same time... I suck at explaining these things. There's a teeny glimpse of magic thrown in too, which I'm pretty sure will be more of a focus in the next book.

So in summary, this book is pretty well-rounded, with plenty of twists and turns to keep you from going to sleep. All I can say now is that you should go and read it. I think you'll particularly like it if you also liked The Bone Season. 

Oh, and the ending is like, all the feels. Literally, all the feels. 

And finally, thank you Rachel Caine for writing an amazing book, the beginning of a new series for me to love, and for getting me out of my reading rut. And also for the nice conversation we had from my personal Twitter account. 

The second book of the series is expected to be out Summer 2016, so make sure you've all read up by then, or I... Correction- Rachel Caine- will feed you to the automatons. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Random Sunday Post!

Hello everyone! This is a super quick random post just to say I'm back and also what will be coming up this week! So, I'm still due a Blue Nails post for the British Nail Blogger's Colour Me Crazy Challenge- this will be up tomorrow instead of a Book/Lifestyle post! From Wednesday, the normal posts will resume, so you can expect a Pink Mani on this day for this week's challenge nails! Then on Thursday, it's A Level results day, which means a lot of nervous stressy things to sort out, and I may not have time to write up a post in time for Friday- but I will definitely try, and also update you all in my potential University place! If there is a post on Friday, it'll be a typical naily post- probably a swatch of something! And that is all I think you need to know! Good Luck to anyone else getting results on Thursday! ~Rachel

Your Guide to Barry M Gelly's!

Finally , the time has come for the ever-promised "Barry M Gelly Polishes Review & Swatch" Post! YAY! Now, now, settle down, settle down, and prepare yourself for an image-heavy post! Panorama View? Yes please... Okay, so that picture isn't too great. But there's the colours that between us (Me and Rhian) have in the Gelly range. We're only missing "Grapefruit" I think...

Mail: Messy Mani

Hello! Let it be known that from this day forth, any nail posts posted on Mondays shall be known as "Mail's". Yay! For the first "Mail" post, I'm going to be sharing one of my new purchases with you... Model's Own's "Erase" Corrector Pen! I feel like this could be a major turning point in my blog's image quality, as I no longer have an excuse for messy mani's.  Though I'd first like to point out that I feel like I have come quite far since the beginning of my blog, and no longer post images such as this... I mean, just look at that thumb!? (Polish is Barry M Spring Green) ...Except for today, I'm posting a very (purposefully) messy mani, to show you how the corrector pen can work! Also please keep in mind that I actually did this mani pretty much in the dark, around midnight the other day. :D I quite enjoyed being super careless with my painting, actually. Is that wrong of me? Also, you m