Skip to main content

Look after them!

How to... Look after your nails!

Here's how I take care of mine, usually on average twice a week, though it depends on your nail-type as to how often you should do this.
For weak or ridged nails: Try and do this around three to four times a week until your nails begin to re-strengthen.
For "normal" nails: Do this around two times a week, it'll keep them up to shape!
For strong nails: Even though your nails are strong, you should still keep them in good shape, so do this one to two times a week.



1. Remove any nail polish you may have been wearing. If your nails are weak, or have ridges, I recommend using an acetone-free or conditioning remover. If you consider your nails as strong, then feel free to use pure acetone, though you might want to have a moisturiser handy.

2. Grab a nail file and shape your nails! Do not use a metal file, they can make your nails crack and split. Also file your nails in one direction so you don't cause the same problem.

3. Buff and 'shine' your nails using a nail buffer. I recommend the Leighton Denny Quatro 4-in-1 file & buffer, which includes the sides "1. File, 2. Ridge Remover, 3. Buff and 4. Shine". You can then just rotate and do as each side instructs. Use each side (apart from the buff) for around 10 seconds on each nail, as any more could damage the nail.

4. Put some cuticle oil onto your whole nail and surrounding area-don't forget to rub it in!
OR! As an alternative to 4 and 5, if your cuticles are looking a bit shabby, use Boots Salon Nail Care Cuticle Remover (click!)

5. Grab an orange stick, and using the flattened end, push back your cuticles, scraping any rough ends away as much as you can when doing so. Using the pointed end, then carefully scrape underneath your nail to remove any gathered dirt. You can also apply some hand cream at this point, if you wish!
5* If my nails are extremely weak (i.e. just had acrylic or gel nails on), then I'll also use Leighton Denny's Renovate cream, by putting a dot on each nail and then rubbing it all over the nail and cuticle.

6. After a few hours (to allow the oil (& cream) to sink in), and if your nails are weak, apply a nail-strengthening base-coat (OPI and Nails Inc sell pretty good ones!).

And hey presto, your nails are prepped and ready for a splash of colour!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Random Sunday Post!

Hello everyone! This is a super quick random post just to say I'm back and also what will be coming up this week! So, I'm still due a Blue Nails post for the British Nail Blogger's Colour Me Crazy Challenge- this will be up tomorrow instead of a Book/Lifestyle post! From Wednesday, the normal posts will resume, so you can expect a Pink Mani on this day for this week's challenge nails! Then on Thursday, it's A Level results day, which means a lot of nervous stressy things to sort out, and I may not have time to write up a post in time for Friday- but I will definitely try, and also update you all in my potential University place! If there is a post on Friday, it'll be a typical naily post- probably a swatch of something! And that is all I think you need to know! Good Luck to anyone else getting results on Thursday! ~Rachel

Mail: Messy Mani

Hello! Let it be known that from this day forth, any nail posts posted on Mondays shall be known as "Mail's". Yay! For the first "Mail" post, I'm going to be sharing one of my new purchases with you... Model's Own's "Erase" Corrector Pen! I feel like this could be a major turning point in my blog's image quality, as I no longer have an excuse for messy mani's.  Though I'd first like to point out that I feel like I have come quite far since the beginning of my blog, and no longer post images such as this... I mean, just look at that thumb!? (Polish is Barry M Spring Green) ...Except for today, I'm posting a very (purposefully) messy mani, to show you how the corrector pen can work! Also please keep in mind that I actually did this mani pretty much in the dark, around midnight the other day. :D I quite enjoyed being super careless with my painting, actually. Is that wrong of me? Also, you m

Wail: Birthday Blue!

Hi everyone! So it was my 18th birthday yesterday, hence why this post is a little late! But I have a fun post for you all to enjoy :) Introducing to you- my birthday mani! I love love love these polishes- I think I've only used them once each, but wow, they're just amazing and I definitely need to use them more. Apologies for the little bit of tip-wear, it's been on since Saturday (so, 5 days between application and the picture taking!) so the wear on these polishes is actually very good! The first polish is Rimmel London's Salon Pro by Kate, in the shade "Britpop" which is such a fun name! The colour is also absolutely stunning, it's such a rich blue, but is kinda bright at the same time and a borderline dark teal colour. The brush for application is also pretty wide, which makes coverage super easy in only one to two strokes! There's another bonus too- the polish is very shiny even before a top coat! Totally recommend this polish, a