Skip to main content

A Blogger's Bookshelf: The Bone Season

Hey everyone!

So it's been forever since the last "Blogger's Bookshelf" instalment- the last one was in January in fact! I guess I haven't really been reading as much as I should've been.

Anyway, today's book is "The Bone Season" by Samantha Shannon, so read on to find out a bit of info about the book, why I liked it, who else may like it and why you should consider reading it.

Image from theboneseason.wikia.com



First of all, a bit of background info for ya- The Bone Season was published back in August 2013, and is part of a 7-part series, with only the first two books (The Bone Season and The Mime Order) currently released. It's pretty much on a border between the genres of Fantasy and Sci-Fi, but it's basically a dystopian novel set in London and Oxford. Reviews are mixed, which kinda surprised me, but I think it had been hyped up a lot pre-release and some people found that it didn't live to their expectations. I, on the other hand, hadn't heard of it, so had no idea what to expect.

The pace of this book can only be described as a 'sprint'. The first few chapters are a bit slow, and slightly confusing as some things are explained in later chapters, but then everything speeds up and by the end of the book you'll be addicted (or at least I was). 

I found the characters to be pretty interesting, in both species/type and in the way they reacted to everything. Species-wise there are some zombie-type things who want to eat everybody (no change there), the Rephaim (Rephs) who are kinda alien/God things, and then humans of different types- those who are 'clairvoyant' and those who are not. Clairvoyant individuals see the World differently, "more clearly", as they can see auras, spirits, futures and the likes. I think that's actually one of the main parts that got me hooked!

So the main plot is a bit of an escape adventure, as the main heroine tries to escape the town of Oxford, where she is being held by the Rephs. She's a pretty awesome main character, with good qualities, even if she isn't too much of a 'good character' at first. 

However- this book isn't for the feint-hearted, there's blood, and gore, and death (though not quite to Game of Thrones standards)- but there isn't an overload of it, so don't worry too much. It's definitely not a 'chilled' book to pick up and put down again, it's more of a read as much as possible at once kinda thing. (Unless you're okay with putting a book down at a tense moment. I don't have that much willpower.)

I'm not really sure what else I can say about The Bone Season without giving too much away, but I really loved it, so thanks to Ashleigh for recommending it to me, and if any of you wish to discuss it further or have any questions, drop me a comment below or an email.

I'm off to start the second one!
Catch you later's!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Random Sunday Post!

Hello everyone! This is a super quick random post just to say I'm back and also what will be coming up this week! So, I'm still due a Blue Nails post for the British Nail Blogger's Colour Me Crazy Challenge- this will be up tomorrow instead of a Book/Lifestyle post! From Wednesday, the normal posts will resume, so you can expect a Pink Mani on this day for this week's challenge nails! Then on Thursday, it's A Level results day, which means a lot of nervous stressy things to sort out, and I may not have time to write up a post in time for Friday- but I will definitely try, and also update you all in my potential University place! If there is a post on Friday, it'll be a typical naily post- probably a swatch of something! And that is all I think you need to know! Good Luck to anyone else getting results on Thursday! ~Rachel

Your Guide to Barry M Gelly's!

Finally , the time has come for the ever-promised "Barry M Gelly Polishes Review & Swatch" Post! YAY! Now, now, settle down, settle down, and prepare yourself for an image-heavy post! Panorama View? Yes please... Okay, so that picture isn't too great. But there's the colours that between us (Me and Rhian) have in the Gelly range. We're only missing "Grapefruit" I think...

Mail: Messy Mani

Hello! Let it be known that from this day forth, any nail posts posted on Mondays shall be known as "Mail's". Yay! For the first "Mail" post, I'm going to be sharing one of my new purchases with you... Model's Own's "Erase" Corrector Pen! I feel like this could be a major turning point in my blog's image quality, as I no longer have an excuse for messy mani's.  Though I'd first like to point out that I feel like I have come quite far since the beginning of my blog, and no longer post images such as this... I mean, just look at that thumb!? (Polish is Barry M Spring Green) ...Except for today, I'm posting a very (purposefully) messy mani, to show you how the corrector pen can work! Also please keep in mind that I actually did this mani pretty much in the dark, around midnight the other day. :D I quite enjoyed being super careless with my painting, actually. Is that wrong of me? Also, you m