Skip to main content

A Blogger's Bookshelf: The DUFF

Hi there!
So while I was away, I read a few books. These 4, I do believe:

  • To All the Boys I've Loved Before, by Jenny Han
  • Ink and Bone, by Rachel Caine (which I already reviewed)
  • The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend, by Kody Keplinger (this post!)
  • Written in Red, by Anne Bishop (which is part of a series, and will be reviewed soon)

To All the Boys I've Loved Before annoyed me so so so much that I'm not even sure I can handle a whole post on it, so basically, I gave it 2 stars on Goodreads. It's average on there is 4.11 stars, so I'm obviously missing something... But personally, although the characters were okay, they were a little flimsy in parts, and a little all over the place. I felt like the plot went a bit off track from where it was meant to be focused (yknow, on the guys that she's loved before...?) and it just didn't keep my attention very well. I can't even remember what happened at the end anymore, but I was glad it ended. I'm sure the people who gave it 4 or 5 stars were impressed, and I'm sure some of you would be if you read it, but this just wasn't my cup of tea (or coffee, I don't like tea). And so, I shall move on to the DUFF. Which was... Okay.

The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend, by Kody Keplinger
My Goodreads rating: 3 Stars
Average Goodreads rating: 3.90 Stars

I'm glad I'm kinda with the Goodreads average rating this time round. My general feelings towards this book are pretty conflicted. On one hand, I found the plot pretty predictable, which I personally dislike but isn't particularly a bad thing. In example, the main female protagonist ends up with who you can guess she'd end up with. Shocker! 

There's also a lot of relatable stuff in there, like high school thoughts, feeling like you're not good enough, arguments with friends, and other general stuff people go through when you're 16-18 years old. 

Of course, there's another bone to pick I have with the title/term of the "duff" and that is that the main girl isn't actually fat. I feel like that's a bit of an 'eh' moment for me. It felt like a bit of an unnecessary word to add into the term when it doesn't actually carry any relevance towards the plot.

I don't actually have many points for this book, it didn't blow me away nor make me want to throw it on the floor, so just 'meh'. It's just another typical high school troubles book, a decent holiday read, but it's not a book I will read again... Though I may try the movie!

Have you read either of the books discussed today? Let me know what you thought of them in the comments!
Hope you have a great weekend!


BloglovinFacebookInstagramTwitter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Random Sunday Post!

Hello everyone! This is a super quick random post just to say I'm back and also what will be coming up this week! So, I'm still due a Blue Nails post for the British Nail Blogger's Colour Me Crazy Challenge- this will be up tomorrow instead of a Book/Lifestyle post! From Wednesday, the normal posts will resume, so you can expect a Pink Mani on this day for this week's challenge nails! Then on Thursday, it's A Level results day, which means a lot of nervous stressy things to sort out, and I may not have time to write up a post in time for Friday- but I will definitely try, and also update you all in my potential University place! If there is a post on Friday, it'll be a typical naily post- probably a swatch of something! And that is all I think you need to know! Good Luck to anyone else getting results on Thursday! ~Rachel

Your Guide to Barry M Gelly's!

Finally , the time has come for the ever-promised "Barry M Gelly Polishes Review & Swatch" Post! YAY! Now, now, settle down, settle down, and prepare yourself for an image-heavy post! Panorama View? Yes please... Okay, so that picture isn't too great. But there's the colours that between us (Me and Rhian) have in the Gelly range. We're only missing "Grapefruit" I think...

Mail: Messy Mani

Hello! Let it be known that from this day forth, any nail posts posted on Mondays shall be known as "Mail's". Yay! For the first "Mail" post, I'm going to be sharing one of my new purchases with you... Model's Own's "Erase" Corrector Pen! I feel like this could be a major turning point in my blog's image quality, as I no longer have an excuse for messy mani's.  Though I'd first like to point out that I feel like I have come quite far since the beginning of my blog, and no longer post images such as this... I mean, just look at that thumb!? (Polish is Barry M Spring Green) ...Except for today, I'm posting a very (purposefully) messy mani, to show you how the corrector pen can work! Also please keep in mind that I actually did this mani pretty much in the dark, around midnight the other day. :D I quite enjoyed being super careless with my painting, actually. Is that wrong of me? Also, you m