Skip to main content

A Blogger's Bookshelf: Fangirl

Happy Monday everybody! Today I bring you a post on a book that I read during the exam period and literally couldn't put down, it was so amazing. I could easily give it the "Best Book of the Year" title, and it's only the end of June.
“To really be a nerd, she'd decided, you had to prefer fictional worlds to the real one.” 


So, as you can see, this book is by Rainbow Rowell- and it's the first one of her's I've ever read. But you know what? I'm so glad that I did! I feel like she just gets me. I'm sure if you read it too, you'll understand what I mean!
The novel holds a deep, believable coming-of-age story about twin sisters who are going to College. One of them, Cath, is prepared to stay by her sister's side 24:7 like they used to in High School, but is rather taken aback when she realises that her twin,Wren, has the complete opposite idea. I'll talk a little bit more about the characters later- there are a few especially that I want you to meet.
Basically, as the book develops, we learn more and more about the twins' back story, which makes them much more believable and flawed as characters, as well as helping us as readers to connect and empathise with each of them. All of the events that occur are real- they could literally happen to any of us in the environment they're put in. From finding new friends, to coping with assignment deadlines. Of course, there's the fangirl-ing element to the book as Cath has a tiny obsession with the "Simon Snow" series, which happens to sound a rather lot like Harry Potter... As a part of Cath's obsession, she writes FanFiction, which kind of gets in the way of her life sometimes, but we all have that one thing that takes over our life, don't we? (cough, nail polish, cough)
One of the most perfect things about this book, is how Rainbow describes everything. She describes FanFiction in a way that is just so perfect, you have no idea.
The whole point of fanfiction is that you get to play inside somebody else's universe. Rewrite the rules. Or bend them. The story doesn't have to end. You can stay in this world, this world you love, as long as you want, as long as you keep thinking of new stories.” 
The way she describes writing too, is just simply perfect. So perfect that I'm going to have to add more quotes in here...
“Cath felt like she was swimming in words. Drowning in them, sometimes.” 
“When I’m writing my own stuff, it’s like swimming upstream. Or … falling down a cliff and grabbing at branches, trying to invent the branches as I fall.”  
“Sometimes writing is running downhill, your fingers jerking behind you on the keyboard the way your legs do when they can’t quite keep up with gravity.”  
Okay... Enough of the quotes (there's one more coming up in a sec though- you have been warned!), it's time we went through some of the characters.
I'm going to start with Cath, because she's the main protagonist here! She's quite the introvert- very shy, rather emotional but only when it fits well, a 'typical' fangirl and makes some fantastic witty, snarky, sarcastic comments. She's most definitely a character that you can relate to- if not in comparison with yourself, then definitely with someone that you know. She's the kind of person that would rather not be put in large social situations, and would definitely prefer to sit in a corner with a book and a hot chocolate instead. I think Cath and I would be rather good friends if she existed. And here's a quote, that I can imagine someone saying to me, and was nicely pointed out by Cath's roommate and friend, Raegan.
“You’re never going to find a guy who’s exactly like you—first of all, because that guy never leaves his dorm room.” 
Cath's twin sister, Wren, seems to have gotten the near-complete opposite to Cath's personality, as Wren is definitely a social, outgoing, girly party-lass who is embracing every part of College life. She faces her own troubles throughout the novel and is also a main part in the equations that cause Cath's issues, too.
I'm going to talk about Raegan next- she's Cath's roommate, and unexpected friend. Raegan is a rather aggressive person, yet she's friendly, fun and rather caring at the same time, which is great as long as you're on her good side!
Nick is "one of those characters" in this novel. I'm not going to dwell too much on him, cause it'll spoil it a bit, but I'm just going to say that at first, he's amazing and lovely and caring and fun and almost romantic...
But we've saved the best til last, because cue Levi! Oh Levi, you blow Nick out of the equation. You're wonderful and despite all the flaws that make you believable, you're flawless. Yes, I'm talking to a character here, please forgive me... I have fictional character attachment issues. So, Levi, is definitely my personal favourite character of the book. He's super self-conscious yet absolutely perfect in how he treats Cath. Where can I get one? Seriously, last couple of quotes, I promise-but this is how adorable he is...
“I choose you over everyone.” 
“I miss you.” “That’s stupid,” she said. “I saw you this morning.” “It’s not the time,” Levi said, and she could hear that he was smiling. "It’s the distance.”  
So basically, this book has made me want to hug something, punch things, cry, and also made me feel super duper lonely at parts and, probably most importantly, has inspired me, making me want to write. Not just blog posts- a novel.
Even after writing this post after finishing the book a few weeks ago, makes me want to read it again, so I do hope you'll read it too!

Have you read this book, or plan on reading it soon? Have a book recommendation for me? Let me know in the comments below!
Thanks for reading!
o7
~Rachel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Random Sunday Post!

Hello everyone! This is a super quick random post just to say I'm back and also what will be coming up this week! So, I'm still due a Blue Nails post for the British Nail Blogger's Colour Me Crazy Challenge- this will be up tomorrow instead of a Book/Lifestyle post! From Wednesday, the normal posts will resume, so you can expect a Pink Mani on this day for this week's challenge nails! Then on Thursday, it's A Level results day, which means a lot of nervous stressy things to sort out, and I may not have time to write up a post in time for Friday- but I will definitely try, and also update you all in my potential University place! If there is a post on Friday, it'll be a typical naily post- probably a swatch of something! And that is all I think you need to know! Good Luck to anyone else getting results on Thursday! ~Rachel

Mail: Messy Mani

Hello! Let it be known that from this day forth, any nail posts posted on Mondays shall be known as "Mail's". Yay! For the first "Mail" post, I'm going to be sharing one of my new purchases with you... Model's Own's "Erase" Corrector Pen! I feel like this could be a major turning point in my blog's image quality, as I no longer have an excuse for messy mani's.  Though I'd first like to point out that I feel like I have come quite far since the beginning of my blog, and no longer post images such as this... I mean, just look at that thumb!? (Polish is Barry M Spring Green) ...Except for today, I'm posting a very (purposefully) messy mani, to show you how the corrector pen can work! Also please keep in mind that I actually did this mani pretty much in the dark, around midnight the other day. :D I quite enjoyed being super careless with my painting, actually. Is that wrong of me? Also, you m

Wail: Birthday Blue!

Hi everyone! So it was my 18th birthday yesterday, hence why this post is a little late! But I have a fun post for you all to enjoy :) Introducing to you- my birthday mani! I love love love these polishes- I think I've only used them once each, but wow, they're just amazing and I definitely need to use them more. Apologies for the little bit of tip-wear, it's been on since Saturday (so, 5 days between application and the picture taking!) so the wear on these polishes is actually very good! The first polish is Rimmel London's Salon Pro by Kate, in the shade "Britpop" which is such a fun name! The colour is also absolutely stunning, it's such a rich blue, but is kinda bright at the same time and a borderline dark teal colour. The brush for application is also pretty wide, which makes coverage super easy in only one to two strokes! There's another bonus too- the polish is very shiny even before a top coat! Totally recommend this polish, a