Skip to main content

A Blogger's Bookshelf: The Fault In Our Stars...

Hey guys! Happy Monday! Welcome to the weekly "Blogger's Bookshelf" posts. Today, you get a post from me, (Yippeeee!), and I'll be covering 'The Fault In Our Stars' by John Green.

First of all, I would like to say that if you haven't read this, you have to go and pick up a copy right now. Right-right now. Even if you plan to 'just watch the movie'. No. Go and read the book first. Trust me, you need the preparation for this roller-coaster of emotion!
I've avoided all of the spoilers that I was oh-so-tempted to put in here, so don't worry about that either. Let me know what you think though!



So, onto the book, it's pretty much a step into Hazel's life. She's a young cancer sufferer who has to rely on an oxygen tank to get around... But if you know anything about the book at all, it was probably that. Well, Mr. John Green has pretty much wrapped up life in a bundle of letters that carry you through time in the life of Hazel. From the adorable fun chapters that take you through her and Augustus' love story, to the more serious chapters that make you contemplate your own life and even shed a few tears, you will definitely enjoy the ride this book provides you with.

I feel like the book is almost a guidebook to growing up- it's all about learning with Hazel how to cope with everything life is throwing at her, even aside from her cancer. It's about fighting with parents, and making friends, and discovering yourself and your first love. It's just a bundle of life, despite it being only a short period that we're walking with Hazel, wrapped up in a blur of pages.
Everybody needs to read this book at some point- seriously, you'll love it.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.” -Hazel; The Fault In Our Stars
Though, I must come to the point of the ending. This frustrated me. It's perfect and wonderful, yet feels almost incomplete at the same time. Not enough light seems to be shed on everything, and sure, it's "only a book" and everyone's "only fictional" but they're characters that enter your life for a little while, and it would just be nice to know what happens to them afterwards.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't even have thought about it of there wasn't the author-character in the book. But still, I literally finished this book, with tears in my eyes, and sent caps-locked texts to a couple of people who I knew had read it, I was so annoyed with it all. Someone even wrote me a little ending to it to try and cheer me up about it (and if you're reading this, it was adorable, thank you<3).

So, yeah. If you've read this book (or are going to read it) and got/get annoyed at the ending, you know where to find me. I'll be happy to rant with you!

But overall, through all the gasps and tear-filled moments, as well as the laughs and typical teenage-thrills, this book was incredible and near-life-changing. So, seriously, if John Green is reading this, thank you so so so much for writing it. It's warmed my heart, and I hope it will continue to warm the hearts of many others.
“That’s part of what I like about the book in some ways. It portrays death truthfully. You die in the middle of your life, in the middle of a sentence” - Hazel; The Fault In Our Stars
Thank you all for reading- let me know if you've read the book, and if not, if you plan on reading it after reading this! Don't forget that you can leave a comment below and also follow me on twitter, facebook and bloglovin!
Cheers!
o7
-Rachel xxx

Exam Update: 6 down, 7 more to go...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Random Sunday Post!

Hello everyone! This is a super quick random post just to say I'm back and also what will be coming up this week! So, I'm still due a Blue Nails post for the British Nail Blogger's Colour Me Crazy Challenge- this will be up tomorrow instead of a Book/Lifestyle post! From Wednesday, the normal posts will resume, so you can expect a Pink Mani on this day for this week's challenge nails! Then on Thursday, it's A Level results day, which means a lot of nervous stressy things to sort out, and I may not have time to write up a post in time for Friday- but I will definitely try, and also update you all in my potential University place! If there is a post on Friday, it'll be a typical naily post- probably a swatch of something! And that is all I think you need to know! Good Luck to anyone else getting results on Thursday! ~Rachel

Mail: Messy Mani

Hello! Let it be known that from this day forth, any nail posts posted on Mondays shall be known as "Mail's". Yay! For the first "Mail" post, I'm going to be sharing one of my new purchases with you... Model's Own's "Erase" Corrector Pen! I feel like this could be a major turning point in my blog's image quality, as I no longer have an excuse for messy mani's.  Though I'd first like to point out that I feel like I have come quite far since the beginning of my blog, and no longer post images such as this... I mean, just look at that thumb!? (Polish is Barry M Spring Green) ...Except for today, I'm posting a very (purposefully) messy mani, to show you how the corrector pen can work! Also please keep in mind that I actually did this mani pretty much in the dark, around midnight the other day. :D I quite enjoyed being super careless with my painting, actually. Is that wrong of me? Also, you m

Wail: Birthday Blue!

Hi everyone! So it was my 18th birthday yesterday, hence why this post is a little late! But I have a fun post for you all to enjoy :) Introducing to you- my birthday mani! I love love love these polishes- I think I've only used them once each, but wow, they're just amazing and I definitely need to use them more. Apologies for the little bit of tip-wear, it's been on since Saturday (so, 5 days between application and the picture taking!) so the wear on these polishes is actually very good! The first polish is Rimmel London's Salon Pro by Kate, in the shade "Britpop" which is such a fun name! The colour is also absolutely stunning, it's such a rich blue, but is kinda bright at the same time and a borderline dark teal colour. The brush for application is also pretty wide, which makes coverage super easy in only one to two strokes! There's another bonus too- the polish is very shiny even before a top coat! Totally recommend this polish, a